How do I choose a Home Inspector?
Don’t assume that a background in construction trades, engineering, code officers, or other building fields are substitutes for education and training as a home inspector.
Questions you should ask:
- “Are you Certified by the WV State Fire Marshall?”
- Ask for their certification number
- Request to see their WV Certification Card. Is it current?
- Are they a member of any Professional Home Inspection organizations?
- Ask where they attained education/training.
- Ask the Inspector to provide a copy of their General Liability Insurance.
- How many inspections have they performed?
- How long have they been a PROFESSIONAL HOME INSPECTOR?
- Request a sample of the home inspection report prior to the Home Inspection.
- Request & check references.
- Ascertain the inspector’s knowledge of the area.
- Ensure that the utilities are turned on.
- How much time will the inspection take?
- Attend the Home Inspection.
- Ask the inspector, if there is time allowed to discuss the report after the inspection.
IF AN INSPECTOR OFFERS TO REPAIR ANY PROBLEMS THAT ARE DISCOVERED, IT IS A DIRECT VIOLATION OF THE WV HOME INSPECTION REGULATIONS.